- Email a PDF of the development review application, required submittal materials, and a scan of a $250 check for the ISD plan review fee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name all digital files as “Street Name Street Number – Description.pdf”. For example, Elm St 1 – Drawings.pdf
- Either mail or drop off hard copies of the application, required submittal materials, and a $250 check for the ISD plan review fee in a sealed envelope. Please provide the live $250 check for the ISD plan review fee inside a smaller envelope inside your larger submittal package. Applications may either be dropped off in a drop box outside of City Hall near the School Street entrance (no larger than 16” x 11” x 8”) or mailed to the following address:
Planning & Zoning Application
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02143
Development review is a new process established by the Somerville Zoning Ordinance to document development activity happening in Somerville. Almost all development activity must submit a Development Review Application (DRA) and receive a Certificate of Zoning Compliance (CZC) whether the activity is by-right or if it requires additional review with the Review Boards. A Certificate of Zoning Compliance confirms that development activity is compliant with the Somerville Zoning Ordinance and that all development review procedures have been properly completed.
There are three (3) exceptions:
- Roof-mounted Photovoltaic (PV) Devices
Normal maintenance and internal demolition, as defined by the Somerville Zoning Ordinance, and the installation of roof mounted photovoltaic (PV) devices are not required to submit a DRA and do not need to receive a CZC. ISD is prohibited from issuing Building Permits or Certificates of Occupancy for any development that has not already received a Certificate of Zoning Compliance, save for the exceptions listed above.
Development review applications are currently processed through a collaboration of two Somerville City departments: The Planning & Zoning Division (P&Z) and the Inspectional Services Division (ISD). Applications for by right development are issued a Certificate of Zoning Compliance within ten (10) days of a complete DRA submittal. Proposed development may or may not necessitate the need for Site Plan Approval, a Special Permit, or a Hardship Variance based on the nature of the proposal. Applications that require further development review are generally scheduled for a public hearing within sixty-five (65) days of a complete DRA submittal. Once the additional development review is properly completed, the application is transferred to ISD and a Certificate of Zoning Compliance is issued to confirm that development plans are compliant with the Somerville Zoning Ordinance and that all development review procedures have been properly completed.
The Planning & Zoning Division will assist applicants through the development review process required the by the Somerville Zoning Ordinance. To begin the engagement, Applicants should fill out the intake form below either online or submit the form in person at OSPCD, 3rd Floor City Hall, 93 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA.
Development Review Applications (DRA)
To learn more about the application process and requirements for submittal materials please review the DRA Submittal Requirements. (last update: January 23, 2020)
- Application Form (pdf)
- Dimensional Tables (pdf)
- Fee Schedule (pdf)
- Sustainable and Resilient Buildings Questionnaire (doc)
- Affordable Housing Memorandum of Understanding (pdf)
- Per the SZO, a Certificate of Zoning Compliance is issued within 10 days of a complete Development Review Application submittal that does not require additional review.
- Per MGL 40A and established MA case law, public hearings are generally scheduled within 65 days of a complete Development Review Application submittal that does require additional review.
Other Application Forms
- Master Plan Special Permit Application (pdf)
- Comprehensive Permit (40B) Application (pdf)
- Subdivision Plan Approval Application (pdf)
- Administrative Appeal (pdf)
- Land Conveyance Petition (pdf)
- Zoning Text Amendment Application (pdf)
- Zoning Map Amendment Application (pdf)