Most permitting is now online through CitizenServe.
All must apply for development review and receive a Certificate of Zoning Compliance to confirm that the proposal is compliant with the provisions and procedures of the Somerville Zoning Ordinance prior to receiving a Building Permit or Certificate of Occupancy.
- and , as defined by the Somerville Zoning Ordinance, and the installation of roof mounted photovoltaic (PV) devices are not required to apply for development review.
CLICK HERE to apply if your development proposal is “By-Right”.
- Click Apply Now and select Certificate of Zoning Compliance from the drop down menu. Pay the $250 ISD Plan Review fee through CitizenServe.
CLICK HERE to apply if you already know that your development proposal requires Site Plan Approval or one or more Special Permits or Variances.
- Click Apply Now and select Certificate of Zoning Compliance from the drop down menu. Stop and click submit after answering YES to the question “Does this development proposal require Site Plan Approval or one or more Special Permits or Variances?”.
Applications for development review are required to provide plan drawings and other necessary information based on the nature of the proposal. Please download the submittal requirements below for more information:
- Submittal Requirements (Updated September 13, 2020)
- Per the SZO, a Certificate of Zoning Compliance is issued within 10 days of a complete application submittal that does not require additional review (“by-right”).
- Per MGL 40A and established MA case law, public hearings are generally scheduled within 65 days of a complete application submittal that does require additional review.
other Application Forms
- Master Plan Special Permit Application (Updated July 29, 2020)
- Comprehensive Permit (40B) Application
- Administrative Appeal
- Land Conveyance Petition
- Zoning Text Amendment Application
- Zoning Map Amendment Application
- Sustainable and Resilient Buildings Questionnaire
- Affordable Housing Memorandum of Understanding
- Mobility Management Plan Submittal Requirements (contact Mobility Division)
- Civic Space Study Requirements (contact Public Space & Urban Forestry Division)